Information about the full video
Key approaches to working with men
Current UK statistics show that both prison and suicide rates for men are high. Young men are falling behind in secondary education and porn addiction is described as a 21st century epidemic. As therapists working with men in different pockets of society, how do we reflect on this? What can we do to reduce these statistics and what effective strategies can we employ?
This webcast series, Men and Therapy - key approaches to working with men, explores a number of key topics that men bring to therapy from shame, depression and acting out to violence, vulnerability and porn addiction.
When you purchase this series or subscribe to it via Psychotherapy Excellence CPD Online you receive:
8 streaming videos which you can access at any time
8 MP3s which you can download and keep for further learning
8 transcripts so you can make notes to deepen your practice
access to academic references for your own research purposes
Programme - 8 hours CPD
Session 1: I don't want to talk about it
with Dr Terry Real Click here to preview this webcast
Learn how to:
- Articulate the relationship between resistance and self-esteem issues
- Distinguish characteristics of shame and grandiosity.
- Help grandiose, narcissistic clients enter into relationship
- Help passive-resistant men step up.
Session 2: Men and depression
with Martin Pollecoff Click here to preview this webcast
You'll be able to:
- Take an organic approach with men and depression
- How to keep your client engaged with 'Punching the wound'
- Avoid the mistake of confusing a lack of emotional knowledge with resistance
- Gaining an empathy for the male condition and the 'external unconscious'.
Session 3: Men and vulnerability
with Tom Warnecke Click here to preview this webcast
- How to understand the dynamics of vulnerability and how they affect men in particular
- A relational and skill-oriented approach to working with vulnerability states
- Suitable interventions for working with vulnerability states
- And consider how such work may affect the therapist.
Session 4: Men and shame
with Dr David Wexler Click here to preview this webcast
You'll learn how to:
- Develop advanced knowledge of the key role that “shame-o-phobia”
- Enhance skills in developing a therapeutic relationship based on straightforward guidance and “guy talk” rather than ambiguous “therapy-speak”
- Adopt specific strategies for helping men deal with shame.
Session 5: Men and trauma
with Dr Laurie Leitch Click here to preview this webcast
- 3 ways that neuroscience research can contribute to the design of resiliency-oriented interventions;
- How you can inadvertently re-traumatize clients and contribute to dysregulation
- Define The Resilient Zone and at least 1 way to help deepen it.
Session 6: Porn addiction - a 21st century epidemic?
with Robert Hudson Click here to preview this webcast
- The nature and impact of porn addiction and compulsivity
- The impact of porn addiction and compulsivity on the partner
- How to understand the trauma of the discovery and manage the crisis
- How to deal with the emotional aftershock.
Session 7: Men and violence
Session 8: Men in society
with Professor Andrew Samuels Click here to preview this webcast
with Richard Curen Click here to preview this webcast
- The roots of violence might be traced back to deficits in child development
- And why men tend towards hurting others as opposed to hurting themselves
- Men express violence in sexual relationships
- Manifestations of violence emerge and can be contained in treatment with men.
- Explore social and political issues in relation to men and therapy from a historical perspective
- Understand the role of father in men’s personal development – having a father and being a father
- Encounter current thinking in psychotherapy in relation to men in the West
- Reflect on clinical issues concerning men in the therapy situation.
How to purchase this series
Subscribe to Psychotherapy Excellence CPD online
Sign up to Psychotherapy Excellence CPD online and access the world's leading therapists across different modalities and topics. Pay just £19.95 (students £16.95) per month subject to 12 months. Please see our terms and conditions. To subscribe click here or use the drop down menu above or below.
Purchase series out right - single user access
To purchase this series out right follow these simple steps:
Select the option you want in the driop down menu
Click on the 'login in or buy webcast series' purple button above or below
You'll be taken through to the subscription page, click on 'purchase webcast' in column 3
Then check T&Cs box
Fill in your registration details
Select option in the drop down menua and click on Paypal icon
Follow payment steps
You DO NOT need to have a Paypal account to buy this series out right.
We may also, from time to time, check to see where people are studying if you choose the student option. To qualify for the student rate you must be in the first 4 years of studying. The student rate does not apply to post-graduate studies.
If you are already registered on Psychotherapy Excellence, please login first by filling in your username and password top right of this screen. Return to the webcast you wish to purchase by going to the webcast page. Then just click on the 'Buy Now' button on this page and go through the payment steps.
Purchase series out right - multi user access
Universities, Psychotherapy and Counselling Organisations, Colleges and Clinics or any other organisation MUST purchase a group subscription to access this webcast series if they would like access.
To purchase a group subscription call us on 01865 428 649 or email email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE that we monitor video streaming usage.
Certificate of attendance
This webcast series is worth 8 hours CPD.
If you would like a CPD certificate we require you to undertake a short test. Please download the test once you are logged in and send it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll then send you a personalised CPD certificate.
Call us on 01865 428 649 or email us at email@example.com.